Here you will find my updated photography / videography gear list – these are products that I personally use and rely upon in the field while taking pictures or making videos. This list is updated regularly as I upgrade to new equipment!
Gear List – Updated July 2015
Multicopter / Aerial Photography: DJI Phantom 3 Professional Drone
This drone is absolutely amazing – it has drastically changed the way I make videos and take photos. I had mixed feelings about the Phantom 2, which I owned and used for one year, but the Phantom 3 Pro, with the built-in live view and companion app blows the former model out of the water. The 4k video camera attached is also very good. Review coming soon.
Primary Camera: Canon 6D
After coming from a 40D, I made the jump to a full-frame sensor with this camera. At the time of purchase, I wasn’t too interested in video, but boy am I glad the 6D has full 1080p video capabilities, because it is what I now use as my primary body for both still and video.
Canon Camera Lenses:
- Canon EF-16-35mm f2.8L II USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens – I use this with a circular polarizing filter and a GlideCam to get most of my travel video. Also makes great landscape stills. Also makes beautiful night-sky pictures.
- Canon 50mm f/1.4 prime Lens – Cheap, fast, and so much fun to use for great portrait, or low-light situations.
- Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L Telephoto lens – This thing is a beast, but there I found it to be a perfect lens for wildlife and sporting events.
Video and Photography Accessories:
- An assortment of Manfrotto tripods and heads.
- Two 1510 Pelican cases to take my important stuff on a plane
- An iPhone 6+ and a Nexus 9 Tablet (for the drone!)